Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cupcake Fairy Costume: Part 4: Fairy Wand

Have you ever done a project where you burned yourself on a hot glue gun... twenty times?  Well that's how this project went for me.  I didn't burn myself on the fairy wings where I was purposefully pressing hot glue between my fingers.  I burned myself on the fairy wand... the least complicated and fastest part of the whole costume.

Materials Needed:
  • scrap of soft fabric
  • wooden dowel (mine is 1/4" diameter)
  • ribbon
  • tulle scraps (optional)
  • scraps of fabric with fusible interfacing from Appliqued Onsie
Using a small hand saw (I have NO idea what the real name for it is) trim the dowel down to wanted size.  Mine is about 8 inches.

Cut a piece of fabric so it is wide enough to wrap around the dowel and overlap itself 1/4-1/2".  The length should be about 2 inches longer than the dowel.  I'm covering the dowel with fabric instead of painting it to make it soft for my *will be* 5 month old; don't want her whacking herself in the face with something that would hurt.
Glue one end of fabric over the dowel and repeat on the other side.
Then place a line of glue on the dowel and roll one side over.  Then repeat on the other side.
Your wand should look like this now.
It's really up to you to decorate the wand how you want it.  I cut two scraps about the same size from the fabric with the fusible interfacing and made a bow to match the one on the tutu.
I wrapped the fabric pieces and glued them around the top and bottom.  Then I glued a couple of strips of tulle down and glued the bow on top.
I meant to keep all the seams along the same side, but it was late so that didn't really happen.  Whoops.

It turned out great!















In my last post I promised pictures of baby since her costume is complete!  I have to warn you she's pretty cute.  It's also really hard to take pictures of a baby who is wearing wings and doesn't sit up yet... so please just pay attention to the costume and absolute squishiness of my adorable Cupcake Fairy.







See!  She is just full of ooey-gooey cuteness!  Thanks to my sweet husband and awesome sister for helping me take these pictures (yes it was a three person job).  We can't wait for Halloween!

Tell me about you're working on!  What are your kids going to be for Halloween?

5 comments:

  1. I love her!!! She is the cutest and I love her costume. Your amazing and I can't take how adorable her wings are...so tiny:). Your so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute costume. And she is just ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I had actually planned to do the same thing for my girls' costume, except that I bought the wings and wand instead of making them myself. YOU'RE AWESOME!!! I am going to try to make the tutus myself though--I bought the tulle and the elastic several weeks back. Now I just need to find the time to work on it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. You did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute costume! And I love how toy made it all! You are very talented.

    Bekah
    If Work Permits

    ReplyDelete